Saturday 23 April 2011

Spring Rock Climbing in North Wales

Well Spring in North Wales is once again providing us with excellent rock climbing weather. It has been a little damp today but the past week has just been amazing with all us locals heading for the high crags and seeking the shade. Cloggy has seen plenty of action along with Dinas Mot and even Craig Ddu has been dry! I've managed to get in a few routes despite being busy with work. On Tuesday after a day of navigation training and a night navigation session Jim of V12 and myself managed to squeeze in a 2 pitch E3 on Carreg Wastad called Twisted Sister. I don't think it gets climbed a lot but is definitely worth doing despite the hardest moves being on the section it shares with a E2!??

Yesterday Jim and I headed into Cwm Idwal and stopped at Clogwyn y Tarw on our way up to Suicide Wall. I climbed the classic hand crack- Herfords Crack HVS - a route I've wanted to do for ages as I quite enjoy my jamming (easy jamming that is!). On Suicide wall I seconded Jim up Capital Punishment, an E3 which should really be E4 due to its bold and sustained nature. Jim held his nerve and I followed enjoying the amazing rock and the rope above my head! I then got on and enjoyed Route 2 - a fantastic E2.

The forecast is good for tomorrow and pretty good for the week so get to North Wales before the monsoon arrives!

No comments: